Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to distribute corporate policies {Scanned}

From: "Josh Redmond" <josh () brentredmond com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:02:51 -0700

Nick,

I'm sure everyone will have their own methods, but here's my experience.
SANS actually has some really good guidelines on this.

See...

http://www.sans.org/resources/policies/?portal=29051800d348bf21195e6924ed7fd
ea4

I actually ended up adopting a "canned" AUP that they had available for use.

However, I feel distribution is key.  A good unknown or miss-understood
policy will achieve nothing.  I've chosen two methods for the company I work
for.

1.      Added a link to the corporate AUP on the intranet site.  Also,
enforced group policy to make sure everyone had the intranet site as the
homepage.  (IT task)

2.      Incorporated the AUP into the company handbook as an amendment.
Everyone had to sign to acknowledge receipt, as with any other amendment.
(HR task)

Things I have chosen not to do that you may consider...

1.      Indicate during login that use of company equipment is subject to
the AUP and reference it's location.

2.      If the policy is internet based rather then "general use" you may
also write script and/or a GPO to have the user acknowledge the AUP when
opening the web browser or other internet aware applications.

3.      Place a label on the equipment reminding users that they are subject
to the AUP with a location reference.

The list here goes on.  I've only chosen to do a very basic approach because
in my opinion being over-zealous with inundating the user with policy
reminders can be counter productive.  They may end up simply writing it off
as "spam" because it becomes more noise to deal with in the work day.  I
find that users will often educate themselves more effectively once one of
them becomes an example of policy abuse and is penalized.  Then the lesson
sets in for real.  I'm not sure of too many ways to avoid that situation.
But, having an organization-wide meeting with key upper management making
the policy(s) known to the world may be a best bet.  At least that way users
know that the policy change/implementation is fully sponsored by upper
management and they shouldn't take it for granted that it's the IT guys
"job."

I'm also curious to see others give feedback on your inquiry.  I deal with
these issues regularly and I'm always looking for more input.

Thanks!

Josh Redmond