Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: router access control list

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:15:28 -0800

  If you want to allow those ports in, attach the access list to
ATM0 inbound -- that's where the packets from outside arrive, and
they will be filtered before the router spends effort trying to
figure out where to forward them to.

  The return packets headed out ATM0 will have arbitrary destination
ports and addresses, and these permitted sources.  So if you try to
apply the same ACL in this direction, it will block all of your responses
to those inbound connections.  (ACLs are not stateful firewalls, and
they do not apply "common sense" to realize that you meant something
else.)  It's possible to write an ACL that only permits traffic that
*could* be responses, but it can't possibly be certain and so it will
have to allow almost anything -- so why bother.  If you really need to
be certain that only responses to these connections ever come out of
your network, you need a real stateful firewall and not an ACL.

  If you wrote the ACLs in terms of NATted (internal) addresses of your
servers, then you could apply the ACL to E0 outbound (coming out of the
router into the LAN).  But this is a less optimal application, since
the router must NAT and route every incoming packet before discovering
whether to forward it or discard it.

Dave Gillett