Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why not encrypt the whole Hard Drives?

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 07:49:56 -0600

With this kind of penalty, however, I have to wonder if the new
Seagate drives and/or the machines that use the TPM chips impose the
same kind of performance penalty, what the administrative overhead is
for each, and the cost differential for using them.

As far as I understand, Seagate's encrypted drives DO NOT impose any
overhead, that is because it has an onboard ASIC that performs the
crypto functions. Hardware encryptions are much much faster then
software.

Seagate encrypted HDDs and Vista Bitlocker is next on my list to evaluate.

Vista Bitlocker, a software based FDE solution, uses TPM to wrap and
bind the encryption keys. Which make the key management easier or more
transparent to the user. But being a software solution, Bit Locker,
will still impose considerable overhead. I will publish the results
once I am done with the eval of BitLocker.

As far as the TPM is concerned, I don't think wrapping and binding the
encryption key using the TPM will impose any overhead, if anything it
will be faster and more convenient.

Some TPM manufacturers advertise bulk encryption capabilities in their
TPM chip, but that has yet to be exploited for FDE purpose.

saqib
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net

Seen any data on that?

Kurt