Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why not encrypt the whole Hard Drives?

From: "Jason Muskat, GCFA, GCUX, de VE3TSJ" <Jason () TechDude Ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 01:43:02 -0500

Hello,

We deployed FDE on every laptop (about 150) in the organization I work for
including my own. The FDE software installs itself on every drive wished
including the boot drive "c:" and requires the use of a pre-boot-loader
before Windows is loaded.

I found no discernible speed difference. The pre-boot-loader is very
transparent to Windows.

The only issues I have come across is one HDD became corrupted. Windows
Automated Recovery would have easily fixed this issue. Due to an Admin
oversight an Admin Key, which allows one to boot a CD from the FDE
boot-loader, was missing. At that point the drive became very difficult to
recover. So much, it was low-level formatted and backups were restored to a
new drive.

Key Management is easy but very procedure driven. If parts of the procedure
are skipped issues such as a simple disk recovery become very difficult.

Regards,

--
Jason Muskat  | GCFA, GCUX - de VE3TSJ

http://TechDude.Ca/