Security Basics mailing list archives

Reverse Proxy

From: zack_taple () hotmail com
Date: 24 Nov 2006 19:21:40 -0000

I got few doubt about using a Reverse Proxy as a added Security Measure

1)  how good is the idea to  use of reverse  proxy as a layer of defense while accessing a web portal .

2) Should it be consedered majorly for security as it provide Single point of access and hides internal servers and
because 3) Is there any other particular feature because of which we shold always be recommended it as a added layer of
Security .

3) or is it  something mostly used for Caching and Load balancing which also can providing security feature mentioned
above like single access point and wont actually contribute much in making a network architecture secure .
by hiding the addresses from world and acting as a single point of inspection .

4) If it is used what is the major consideration should be take place in its implementation to ensure Security .

5) What are some best known and used Revrse Proxy products apart from the well known open source one .

Regards
Zack