Security Basics mailing list archives

log monitoring/analysis/correlation systems

From: "sami seclist" <sg.seclists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:21:18 +0100

Hi list,
a client of our is looking for a log monitoring solution for it's
network security infrastructure.
Logs are to be collected from routers, firewalls, IDS and antivirus.
The only product I found to be applicable in this situation is cisco's
Security Monitoring Analysis and Response Systems (In fact it does
much than what is needed !).
Other products I found
exaprotect (seems to be the best option)
hp openview and IBM tivoli manager (I think they are too heavy for
this company and also very expensive)

does anybody know of other log monitoring systems, and what do you
think of the above ?
Syslog is not an option as log files have heterogeneous formats and is
somewhat tricky to obtain a practical usage

regards
sami.