Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to secure a webserver in a DMZ

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 10:05:30 -0700

If I understand your question correctly. Your webserver is in the in
the DMZ, which is accessing the DB that is residing in a main
firewalled intranet. This scenario is certianly possible, but will be
vulnerable. If your webserver gets comprised, your DB is open as well.

I would recommend instead of placing the web server in DMZ, place a
reverse HTTP proxy in the DMZ, that talks to the HTTP server that
reside inside your main firewall. This way if your reverse proxy
server gets compromised, there will much much less chances of the
webserver/DB being compromised.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net