Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to secure a webserver in a DMZ

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 15:27:51 -0700

I agree, too. But why should in theory a HTTP-backend-connection more
secure, than a database-backend-connection?
See:

http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/webservers/302.php

A reverse proxy adds another layer of defense. Plus you can do some
nifty content filtering on the reverse proxy.

Another possible solution is to use graphical firewall. This is useful
if you really want to secure the your Datastore. In a graphical
firewall the content never gets transmitted to the client, instead
just the pixel that represent the content get transferred. Citrix can
provide this graphical firewall.

The Citrix server + HTTP server + DataStore will be inside the
firewall. You open only one port (ICA protocol) on the firewall that
connects to the Citrix server. Publish Firefox on the Citrix server
such that it can only access the web application and nothing else.
Then the user outside the firwall will use the web based / java based
/ active X based ICA client to access the published the firefox with
your web application. One key thing to note is that the user is only
seeing the graphical output of the web app, so it is alot more secure
then pushing actual content out to the user's browser.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net