Security Basics mailing list archives

How to Protect against Rootkits?

From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:49:46 +0100

Hi Guys,

I have a question to which I'm having trouble finding a suitable answer.

What precautions etc can a home user (or anyone else) take to protect
against Rootkits
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/archive-032006.html#00000841?
Is it a simple case of don't open any dodgy attachements, or is there
anymore to it?
Is there any decent virus detect/cleaners out there?

How about Sony DRM style Rootkits that arrive from a "trusted source"?

I just want some ideas and Best Practices to adhere to in this regard.

Thanx,
ys

--
Yousef Syed
"One senior official said the consultancy 'doesn't have the greatest

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus