Security Basics mailing list archives

Blocking ssl vpn connections

From: "Andrew Stewart" <astewart () Gestampna com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:34:10 -0600

How would one go about blocking an SSL VPN (e.g. openVPN) on a firewall
(or even detecting it via an IDS)?  I was wondering what a
network/security administrator should do to prevent an employee from
connecting to a SSL VPN from internal to the administrator's network to
some unknown SSL VPN server.  I could see this being used for numerous
things that are not in agreement with most companies acceptable use
policies.

---------------------------
Andrew Stewart
Gestamp Alabama, Inc.
IT Support Tech

astewart () gestampna com

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus