Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sorbs.net DNS Blacklist

From: Cloy Tobola <cloy () tobola com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:55:07 -0600

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 at 23:48, Devdas Bhagat <devdas_at_dvb.homelinux.org>

>SORBS itself does not block you.

Uh, if they are sharing blacklists that include a particular IP address... I would say that they are definitely blocking something.

>They do not charge you money for delisting.

Really? Then why is this an issue? The fact that they don't pocket the money is beside the point.

>Their argument is "You have done damage to the Internet
>commons. If you want to be a good citizen, please undo the damage by
>donating $ to <random charity>. Alternatively, wait for 90 days to be
>delisted automatically."

And what about the fact that they block IP ranges?
And what about the people that got listed because spam with faked email addresses that were bounced? And what about those people on shared servers who end up blocked by association?

>Not extortion.
>Devdas Bhagat

If it looks like a duck and quacks like it duck....

Start dropping $50 here and there. Before you know it, they'll start with, "Next time send the money to US. We need it for expenses."

-Cloy

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus