Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question about use of VMware to build an isolated network from host machine

From: Ayaz Ahmed Khan <ayaz () pakcon org>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:46:19 +0500 (PKT)

ricci typed:

I would like to use VMware to build an isolated network on a host
which will be disconnected from the host machine. That is on my
winxp machine, I would like to setup two VMware guest machines that
can be connected together and can be attacked from each other. But
that hosting machine would not be touchable or connected from the
host machine.

Please advise how to configure that? I would like to use the VMWare
guest machine for testing worm, virus and penetration test.

If I have understood correctly what you are asking for, then I think I
would go about disabling the local LAN interface on the host machine,
which is WinXP, and setting up the two VMware interfaces on the host
machine properly.  What would be left after that would be to install
and set up different guest operating systems, and assign them IPs from
some pool that you would have already decided upon using.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan

Then, gently touching my face, she hesitated for a moment as her
incredible eyes poured forth into mine love, joy, pain, tragedy,
acceptance, and peace.  "'Bye for now," she said warmly.
                -- Thea Alexander, "2150 A.D."

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus