Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Funny Windows 2k3 Security "Feature"

From: "Robert J. Stull" <Stull_Robert_J () cat com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:58:16 -0500

If you need something cheap and quick than I personally would just forget
about running windows all together. Grab a Linux distro you like and run
samba or ftp.

If that doesn't work for you use a liveCD or a floppy distro like this
instead:
http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php

If you go with windows then the server will require that everyone that
accesses it, needs to have a local account.

Just keep in mind the security risks of running an open server like this.

R. James Stull
Network Administrator
Caterpillar, Lafayette Engine Center
Phone - 765.448.2356
Email - stullrj () cat com

             "Beauford, Jason"
             <jbeauford@EightI
             nOnePet.com>
             AM                        <kevinlh () hotmail com>
                                       <security-basics () securityfocus com>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Funny Windows 2k3 Security
                                       "Feature"

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 04/15/2006
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

If all you want to do is share files, why pay for the WS03 license?
There are a plethora of setups to accommodate your needs.

Here's one:  Contribs SME Server, http://contribs.org/modules/news/

Nice and simple solution.

-JMB