Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Opinon of Fortinet Products

From: Steve Hillier <securityfocus () mastermindtoys com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 09:38:00 -0400

We're an SMB and have been using a Fortigate-60 for over a year now. In terms of "bang for your buck" you definitely get everything you want with this type of all-in-one appliance.

We only use the firewall and IDS services. I haven't yet implemented the VPN and have no plans to introduce the web filter and spam filter services. Their filters are subscription-based services that you renew annually.

We haven't had any major problems with this product, however one thing it lacks is DNS name resolution for setting up firewall policy rules -- you still need to set your firewall policies using IP addresses. This is supposed to be fixed in the new release of their products and will be available as a firmware upgrade for other products, or so they say.

I would strongly suggest checking out the forums on Fortinet's website (http://support.fortinet.com/forum/) -- there seems to be a number of posts here that suggest that although the product is reasonably good, the support from Fortinet isn't, and I've read about numerous problems with feature upgrades that don't work as expected.

I haven't had any problems with Fortinet support simply because I haven't needed to use it -- our needs are pretty simplistic and as such our Fortinet-60 works like a charm.

sph