Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: In light of what has happened with the theft of the VA laptop, what are the "best practices" for securing laptops?

From: "Noaman Khan" <noamank () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:48:32 -0400

I would support the last comments, if you have physical access of
system you can preety much break any kind of security. Encrypting the
whole drive could be risky if you lose the OS/way to recover. So if
planning to use drive encryption, better make sure you have way to get
your data in case you got issues with OS. Still i would say don't keep
any confidential stuff on your laptop, rather keep it on secure
servers and just access remotely when really need to.

Noaman