Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: In light of what has happened with the theft of the VA laptop, what are the "best practices" for securing laptops?

From: Gethin Jones <gethinj () gethin net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:45:33 +0100

The only drawback of 'whole disk encryption' is that disk recovery is not easy, no matter what PGP say. I tend to run an encrypted file and opens at boot and maps itself to a drive for all secure, well, all documents actually.

It makes backup easier as well

Best Regards

Gethin

Harrison Holland wrote:
PGP Corp has a product called "PGP Whole DisK Encryption".  I have
never used it, but I've heard good things.