Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: user internet usage monitoring

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:06:31 -0700

Does the solution have to be network based? Can you run a application
on the client machines?

If take a look at these applications:
http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/index.php?action=viewtopic&id=142
WebSense looks good.

On 6/14/06, Dale Neufeld <canuck.eh () gmail com> wrote:
As a new security professional I'm looking into internet usage
monitoring solutions.  Currently we're using computer associates
eTrust Intrusion detection which incoroporates an IDS as well as
Network Usage Logging and Reporting and URL blocking.  This enables us
to track usage by end user.  Unfortunately this solution is starting
to choke on our network and therefore we are looking for a new
appliance solution.  Ideally the new solution would have most of the
same features as the eTrust solution and be at least gigabit rated.
I'm really interested in the Sourcefire appliances but unfortunately
they don't seem to include the network usage reporting feature.

Thanks in advance

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net