Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DHCP Snooping

From: "Dmitry Cherkasov" <doctorchd () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:36:06 +0300

6 Jun 2006 19:52:59 -0000, timpacalypse () yahoo com <timpacalypse () yahoo com>:
I'm looking at deploying DHCP Snooping in our environment.  I just want to make sure I've got this straight.

We only have 1 DHCP server.  So the only port that I need to say is trusted is the one the DHCP Server is connected to, right?  I
don't want anyone to be able to deploy any rogue DHCP Servers in the network.  We are using VLANS, but I don't need to
set the trunk ports as trusted do I?

Probably you need the following:

1) DHCP-server runs on the default router for the customers
2) port-based VLANs are set up on a switch so that router port belongs
to any of these VLANs and every customer port belongs to one of them
3) local-proxy-arp on the router
4) dhcp-authorized ARP on the router
5) filter off all BOOTP broadcasts between customers on the router

--
Dmitry Cherkasov