Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DHCP Snooping

From: "Sven Édouard" <sven_edouard () fastmail co uk>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:50:32 -0700

DHCP Security is ultimately a tricky proposition, keep in mind that
these communications are sent over UDP, which can be spoofed, therefore,
what you would need to do is force everyone's configuration to be a
static one in order to avoid a spoofed respose condition.

Also, there is the risk that someone on your network is using the same
MAC address as another user, and therefore could see all of the traffic
intended for that user. I think you could cover these cases by deploying
VLANS but just wanted to bring up these potential issues.

Sven