Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: rootkit behavior

From: "Andrew Blair" <Andrew.Blair () genmills com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:24:29 -0500

Yes. The same as you can install applications and run executables from
any drive or media.

Most of the rootkits hijack system calls that ask what processes are
running or files are in a directory, and remove themselves from the
results. If it lived on the d: drive, it would just remove itself from
d:\<%path%>\ instead of c:\<%path%>\.

Reformatting c: wouldn't remove the code from the d: drive, but to be
persistent the rootkit has to start somehow, and reformatting c: would
remove whatever hooks it had in the startup sequence.

Of course if the code was re-executed from d: somehow you would be right
back where you started from, but after re-installing the OS the rootkit
should not execute on its own.

AB