Security Basics mailing list archives

Log Management Policy and Procedures

From: "Bob Dienhart" <bob () alt-tab cc>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:41:51 -0500

(Note: cross posted to both LogAnalysis and SecurityBasics forums)

We are working up to implementing a centralized log management system.
The NIST paper "Guide to Computer Security Log Management" (800-92)
discusses the need for a Log Management Policy and related procedures.
Does anyone in the community have a Log Management policy and perhaps
even a set of procedures that I could use as a jump start for drafting
something suitable for this organization?

We are part of a City government with about 400 desktops, 30 servers,
and a small IT staff.

I have looked for sample policies on the web but have not found anything
to date. I will continue looking but if you know of any useful links,
those would be helpful, too.

The email address for sending a policy I can plagiarize a bit is:

b o b d "at" h a c m . o r g.

Thanks.

BobD

MCSE, GSEC