Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () camden rutgers edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:46:06 -0400

Roger,

Thanks for the great detailed answer.

Regarding the shorter complex passwords, my understanding is that the reason many organizations recommend a complex password but only up to 8 characters long is because many unix systems don't support a password longer than that. And the organizations don't want to tell the users to use an 8-character password for their unix systems but to use 15 characters for their Windows systems. So they keep it simple and just one have short (8 character) password policy.

And if the password is only going to be 8 characters, it needs to be complex for dictionary attack and other similar reasons.

For purposes of a password policy for windows users - if I understand your comments - we would suggest a 15-character minimum password, and it can be a passphrase, but we should try to make it something that wouldn't appear in some body of work that would be a candidate for digitizing for purposes of a password attack.

I'm not suggesting that it needs to be a phrase that never appeared in any book or newspaper or magazine or any periodical in the history of the world. But if I wanted to pick out two or three books that I would not want the passphrase to appear in, I would exclude a popular book of quotes (such as Bartlet's Book of Quotations).

Given that, would you think that changing just one or two characters of a passphrase would make it a strong passphrase. For instance:

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Frankly, my d*ar, I don't give a damn.

For protection against a passphrase attack, I would hope that the second passphrase would make it a much stronger passphrase.

A passphrase that is a real phrase would make it easier for users to remember their password, but if it could be made much stronger by changing only one character it would be less of a burden on the users to remember.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Harold