Security Basics mailing list archives

AW: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: Christian.Assfalg () bc boehringer-ingelheim com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:39:37 +0200

Do you have a link to those password papers from Microsoft? Sounds interresting.

Recently, I attended a lenghthy debate about single-sign on from a couple of people who don't feel the need to lock
their workstations when they go, or who feel they need to be able to let other people work with THEIR accounts...
(without fear of having them access to some "personal" data, which is what the single-sign on solution was used for)
Yet, I don't necessarily mean single-sign on, more like a single account, single credentials you can use instead of all
those simple and small web-accounts... Most of the time, I can't even remember what username it was, especially if it's
crowded (ebay, big forums...) so I can't use my "default" username or if you're given you a customer number.

I agree, it has additional Risks, but a lot of pros, too. You can change your password consistently for a great number
of access points for example. In the long run, I think that protects you better. Your solution with different endings
is not too bad, but as soon as you change your root (and I guess you do, or at least should sometime), you don't know
which root you have to use for a site you haven't visited for half a year. And of course if someone knows one of your
passwords and suspects this technique, your're in trouble.

However... Just had an idea: what about using some sort of hash as password...? Something like you do with root+ending,
but using the hash of that as password, maybe incorporating the username or so? That should protect your "root" quite a
bit, and it is easily reproducable if you use a common hash-function like sha-1 or md5... One could write a plug-in for
Firefox for example to make it easy to use.

And it would give you reasonable complexity and length, not matter what the password / passphrase you need to remember
is. Though md5sum and sha1sum only contain lowercase letters and numbers.