Security Basics mailing list archives

Qmail + SMTP Auth - Auth being bypassed?

From: "Andrew Aris" <andrew () dev bigfishinternet co uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:18:46 +0100

Hi all,

Am running several Debian Sarge servers with qmail + smtp auth. However I am
seeing large amounts of spam mail passing through the servers that appears
to be coming via SMTP. So far the only characteristic I've found in common
with the mails is that they all use a spoofed FROM: address using one of the
IP addresses for that server.

So far the angles I've covered are that its not using the server's address
as a spoofed IP (have blocked this at the F/W), it's not being injected
locally (as far as I can tell), i think the idea that the there is a
compromised mail account and that's being used to send via the auth is
unlikely since its affecting ALL our servers including our storemail server
which has no mail accounts. Really starting to run out of ideas on how this
is getting into the MTA!

I've included a header of one such mail below (have edited our server ip
out)

regards,

Andrew