Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: winshel () camden rutgers edu
Date: 15 Jul 2006 04:24:34 -0000

I've read and heard many sources say this same thing, i.e., that, for windows systems, length is stronger than short
and complex.  And that a 15 character or longer password can be a real phrase and it will be a secure password.

I can see why a long password that consists of a real phrase - such as "frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" - would
be just as secure as an equally long complex password, in terms of protection against a brute force attack.

I don't know much about password cracking programs but am surprised that, while they would be working  on a brute force
attack, they wouldn't be able to try a lot of commonly-used phrases at the same time.

If some password cracking programs can use a dictionary attack, couldn't there also be something called a passphrase
attack?  Would it be difficult for a password cracker to digitize Bartlett's Book of Quotations and include that in an
attack on a password?