Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Rights

From: "Lane, Jim" <Jim.Lane () CIBC com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 13:11:17 -0400

Dan,
A lot of things about security that, as you rightly say, should be
business decisions are often not dealt with as such. There seems to be a
common unexamined assumption that security is like your paycheque, more
is better:-) This leads to a lot of things being done "just because". To
give full credit I think much of this is because the risk assessment
side of the equation is difficult, if not impossible, to do properly.
It's one thing to know there is a risk or exposure out there but quite
another to know the potential impact of it in real terms. People
dutifully apply endless streams of security patches without any notion
of how likely they are to be impacted by the exposures they're fixing.
This is then justified by the "soft money" cost of some supposed number
of hours that would have been spent cleaning up, this based on the
further assumption that the staff involved would have had something
useful to do with all that time they saved. Plenty of fuzzy thinking at
all steps in the process, I say. Not that I have an answer to it, mind
you. If I did I suppose I'd be rich by now:-)

Regards,
Jim Lane