Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Designing Network Security

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:18:25 -0800

  My preference is to start with broad categories of services
and clients.  Does this client need Internet access?  Does
this service need to be accessed from the Internet?  Don't forget
to include guests as a class of client.
  Put each class of host (there are probably half a dozen) on its
own VLAN.  For each VLAN, determine what sort of gateway best
provides the necessary degree of security.  Proxy?  Stateful
packet filter?  VPN endpoint?
  If you decide to mix multiple security gateways, you may find
it helpful to create and internal VLAN that only has the various
gateways on it.

  Provision VLANs to physical locations as necessary.  You may want
to use something like 802.1x to dynamically assign clients to
the VLAN appropriate for their credentials.

David Gillett