Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Social Engineering

From: Mike Lisanke <mikelisanke () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:37:15 -0500

This scenario is why, even for the most benign conversation with a
company/creditor, I tell the caller that I will call them back via
there general number. If the receptionist for the companies published
number does know the 'team' which called me, I've thwarted the SE
attack. I never answer in-bound calls excepts to receive status (which
I then go on to verify in writing or a call back to the company). All
the security people at creditor are happy with my process.