Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Please Review a Diffie Hellman diagram

From: Karsten Iwen <newsletter () saviya de>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:00:06 +0100

Hi,
Please review the following visual depiction of Diffie Hellman Key Exchange:

http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/index.php?action=viewtopic&id=196

I would like to recieve corrections, or ideas on how to improve the
diagram so it is self-explanatory.
you can also take a look at the document I use when teaching VPN-classes. I created this document because some students don't believe that it is possible to get the shared secret or some even think that "Diffie-Hellmann-Exchange" means that the actual shared secret is exchanged between Alice and Bob. It doesn't contain the "why does it work" (I only talk about that if the students are interested to hear that) but shows an example-calculation.

http://security-planet.de/?p=21
(this website is mainly in german, but the dh-document is also available in english)

regards, Karsten

--
Dipl.-Ing. Karsten Iwen
Network- and Security Consultant/Trainer

CCIE #14602 (Security)
CCSI, CCSP, CCIP, CCNP, CCDA
MCSE: Security

http://www.iwen.de

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus