Security Basics mailing list archives

VLAN Help

From: Brendan Zerr <bzerr () xorz ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:42:12 -0700

Hello, I was wondering if anybody had any experience setting up VLANs.

Here is our situation: we have a client who would like to connect their
remote offices to their corporate network via fibre, but this connection
is not set up for internet access.  We are wondering if there is a way
to set up a VLAN from our network center to their remote office. Our
network is a fixed wireless network, and at each tower station, there is
a D-Link DES-3226 Layer 2 Switch.

Our network center runs the same switch but the Layer 3 Version. These
switches both support 802.1q VLANs. The radios at each tower station
also support these VLANs. Is there any way we can configure all of these
switches and/or radios to allow this setup?

Also, the switches implement the VLANs by setting each specific port on
the switch to be in one of 4 states: Non-Member, Tagged, Untagged and
Forbidden. We have no clue what Non-Member and Forbidden mean but their
functionality seems pretty self explanitory. Tagged means that the
switch will insert the VLAN Id into the packets and Untagged means that
ANY VLAN tag on the packet will be removed as to provide compatibility
with devices that do not recognize VLANs. On each switch, they come
loaded up with one VLAN 'default' with every port set to Untagged.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

--
Brendan Zerr
CCL Networks

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus