Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows XP and FTP

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:43:31 -0500

I'm not sure about your specific problem, but try creating an exception
for \windows\system32\ftp.exe

I regularly use FTP with Windows firewall on and it works just fine, but
different clients (using PASSIVE or ACTIVE...I forget which) I guess
could require an inbound connection. You don't say which ftp client you
are using, so I'm assuming MS's ftp.exe.

Of course, the hostname resolutions problems have nothing to do with
FTP...so you've got another issue (i.e. DNS) going on as well.