Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows XP and FTP

From: Mark Owen <mr.markowen () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:48:22 -0500

On 10 Jan 2006 01:10:58 -0000, koremeltdown () hotmail com

**snip**
I could ask all of my XP using clients to just disable their XP Firewall when uploading their websites via FTP, but I
don't think the more savvy customers would appreciate doing that (they are smart enough to realise what it means to
disable a firewall on todays internet).
My question to the list is, does anyone know how to correctly configure XP Firewall to get around this issue, or is
disabling the firewall the only way? I would like to include this in my FAQ, so the easier workthrough the better.

Does not resolve?  Well, I don't have a XP machine in front of me but
you can goto the advanced section for the firewall settings and add
your FTP client to an exception list.  Or, in the same spot you can
tell it to allow FTP to go through.  I haven't had this kind of
problem before but this may fix it.

Generally,  when one of our users have a FTP/Firewall issue, and they
are using explorer as their FTP client, I have them enable Passive FTP
by going to "Internet Options" - "Advanced" - and check "Use Passive
FTP.." or likewise in what ever FTP client they may be using.

--
Mark Owen

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus