Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WMF Exploit Patch Released

From: "Donald N Kenepp" <don () videon-central com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 08:16:30 -0500

Hi Matthew,

  Sadly, it isn't so much Microsoft saying you should upgrade for this
patch, but Microsoft saying you should have upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 a
long time ago.  NT 4.0 has been being retracted from the market since 2001.
It was declared closed for normal support in 2003.  They are now phasing out
extended support in 2005.  Windows NT 4.0 first showed up back in 1996.  We
have since had 98, Me, W2K, XP, and now Vista is coming.  The server end has
seen W2K and 2003 with a service pack.  Should an OS be supported for ten
years past its inception?

  Will there be a WMF patch for Windows 95 as well?  One way to look at
things is that Microsoft is an evil empire sticking it to the man.  One
might also say they are the average business with new products.

  Regardless of motive, it honestly costs more to maintain NT 4.0 at this
point than to upgrade to a newer OS.  Red Hat 4.0 also came out in 1996.
The amount of patching, manual configuration, and manual administration
involved in a product that has seen its day come and go is much more
expensive than migration.  There is also a fair amount of default security,
productivity, and usability gains in the newer versions of these products.

  You can still run programs dating back to Windows 95 and NT 4.0 and even
DOS on Windows XP.  That's a lot of overhead Microsoft built in to ease
transitions.  Skipping one OS version for cost reasons can certainly make
sense, but if you are making things last and your workstations and servers
have a five year lifecycle, so should their operating systems.

  Just for some perspective on 1996:

Dell opened internet sales.

Netgear was founded.

Google was first developed.

Sony entered the PC market.

Microsoft introduced Windows NT 4.0 and Windows CE 1.0.

Sun introduced the Ultra workstation family and licensed Java.

Seagate released the original 10k Cheetah drives at 6GB.

Intel released the 200MHZ P6.  The 266MHz PII didn't come until 1997.

  I do wish you the best of luck in patching NT 4.0 systems if you are truly
stuck with them, but my recommendation to anyone still on NT is to use this
as one more reason to present the idea of a new OS to management this year.

  Sincerely,
    Donald