Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: WMF Exploit Patch Released

From: Matthew Schiros <schiros () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:46:43 -0600

According to Microsoft, WinNT4 and Win2k SP3 users are out of luck.
Their reccomended "solution" is to upgrade your software to a
supported version.  Obviously, all this means is that they have no
solution at all, but this is hardly the first time that MS has stuck
it to WinNT4 users as part of an attempt to get them all moved over to
2k SP4.  As for the viability of disabling the DLL's in question,
while I haven't had any problems as a result of doing that on the 2k
boxes in the office, I haven't had the opportunity to test its impact
on NT systems.  That seems to be the only way of removing the exploit
from your machines though, and I'd be interested in knowing the
results of your attempts.