Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Google Desktop and Security

From: Hunter Barrington <godsrock37 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 13:16:53 -0500

i havent had any security issues with it. though it is a resource hog. i liked it a lot because it would get news feeds, and then the big plus was the indexing ur hard drive, but if u dont wanna do that u can turn it off. though that was its purpose. it has a few other cool features and plugins, like a todolist or scratchpad for quick note taking. but like i said, if u dont want to index ur hard drive u might wanna consider different tools for those things as its a resoure hog. The news feeds and rss can all be done through mail managers like thunderbird and the note taking and to do list can be done with a text file or any other simple app. the real awesome thing about it was that it bundled it all together. I ended up not using it simply because it wasnt worth starting up and limiting my resources because i do a ton of other stuff (music, email, internet browsing, text editors, compiling programs, etc.). It shouldnt be a security issue since the index is stored locally on your comp. if u have firewall and antispyware set you should be allright. If not u should get those anyway, and having google desktop isnt going to be anymore of a threat or whole, it'll just make it easier for hackers/spyware to gather personal information.
-Godsrock37

Mark wrote:
I am interested in using Google Desktop, but am concerned about the
potential for security leaks from my computer.  I am uncomfortable
with Google indexing my hard drive.  I have read that you can turn off
indexing, so I feel better about that.

Could someone please provide more information about what other
security issues the Google Desktop may present.

Thank you.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus