Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How hackers cause damage... was Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:36:54 +0100

On 2006-02-27 Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
With home computers running more and more stuff inside a persons
house.. it will only be 10 years or so until some kid who was playing
tricks kills someone's grandma because their home medicine drip which
reports back to the doctors office over the internet gets turned off.
I would rather have kids get scared now versus after they are sitting
on lifer's row for playing tricks.

Well, I would prefer to have these systems secured by configuration
rather than by legislation. Proactive measures do prevent this stuff
from happening. Reactive measures (like suing someone after he caused an
incident) don't.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus