Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How hackers cause damage... was Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking

From: "Stephen J. Smoogen" <smooge () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:52:18 -0700

On 2/25/06, dave <fla.linux () gmail com> wrote:
Good points???

1   Loss of human life (though systems damage)
How can a kid trying to crack his friends server cost someone their life?

2   Insolvancy and the resultant human costs (lost jobs, etc)
Pretty much same answer as above

So for your 10 commandments of hacking there should be:

Do not look through hacked boxes private stuff (cache, email,
pictures, credit card info, quickbooks, etc)
Do not leave a backdoor on your hacked boxes that someone else might
be able to use.

From my dealing with these days script kiddies, they dont really go
after servers.. but after some guys windows box on Comcast. And a
larger percentage of them who are saying "oh I was just trying to
learn" also installed a bunch of spyware for some dude they met on an
irc channel. (Or they downloaded the guys email and quickbooks info
just for "fun".. and then try to find someone who might want to buy it
on IRC).

With home computers running more and more stuff inside a persons
house.. it will only be 10 years or so until some kid who was playing
tricks kills someone's grandma because their home medicine drip which
reports back to the doctors office over the internet gets turned off.
I would rather have kids get scared now versus after they are sitting
on lifer's row for playing tricks.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus