Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: PC Anywhere and security

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:49:53 -0800

  I had a nasty experience a couple of years back with an
employee using PCA over a VPN.  Symantec may have changed
things, but it used to be that if PCA didn't know what
system you intended to connect to, it would scan the /24
subnet you were in looking for hosts willing to accept PCA
connection.
  So to anyone who didn't know about the VPN, it looked
like some machine inside our network was scanning customers
of our employee's broadband provider....

  Luckily, I had egress filtering in place, so the only
alarm that was set off was mine.

David Gillett