Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux basic authentication?

From: PCSC Information Services <info () pcsage biz>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:18:12 -0500

I believe that the basic authentication mechanism is DIGEST
authentication. Linux is very extensible and can accomodate
nearly all flavours of authentication.
You might be best served by choosing the more generic *nix
security concepts, and then for each distribution that you work
with develop strategies that can help you for that distro. Each
linux distribution has it's strengths, and may I hazard weaknesses
as well.
If you get a good grasp of *nix (generic unix) security concepts you
will have more success approaching each new linux distribution
you try.

Good luck

S.