Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Forensic/Cyber Crime Investigator

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:43:08 +1100

Hi Dave,

It is true that there are cases/incidents that go to court (even virus infections). These are statistically the
anecdotal case is just the exception. In fact if 1% of all corporate (even excluding personal incidents) incidents
involving virus incidents alone where to go to court, the court system would fold.

Look at the volume of cases in any given country in total. No organisation would take a case to court for this for
costs of less than $50,000 loss - it can not be justified financially and the process will generally cost more than
this.

An extra 10,000 - 20,000 cases in Australia (lets take the NSWSC and other Supreme courts in the other states as these
are the required starting point to file claim at this level of loss etc etc) would result in the total collapse of the
legal system. Cases would not be heard. The backlog each year would exceed the number tried.
[http://www.austlii.edu.au is a good source for cases etc]

Based on the number of companies (not businesses, lets narrow this) in Australia, if every "REPORTED" virus incident
was to go to court this would involve at least 200,000 additional cases. (figures calculated from SANS, Symantec and
APRIA data). Even taking the incidents with a reported impact of greater than $1,000,000 based on loss estimates from
the companies we are looking at 30,000 to 40,000 (Mean 37,102 +/- 3,458 at alpha = 5%).

So taking this reduced figure at about 37,000 cases. This is far more than the courts can handle. If only 1 in 4
incidents (with costs over $1,000,000) go to court, this is still more than the system can handle.

Even looking to 100 cases worldwide going to court. This does not even come to 1% of incidents. Thus any incident which
does go to court is an anomaly.

I am certain that the US does not have that many idle judges that they could handle the extra load any better.

As to the CFO and embezzlement. It is rare to have large fraud tried. I teach corporate fraud detection as one of my
"hats" at a chartered firm (like a US CPA organisation).

I have to argue again, Forensic ALWAYS involves court. This is the nature of the word. As stated, involves court does
not mean that it will end up in court, but an affidavit (deposition eqv. US) is a court process even if the document
never sees the light of day.

Dave, you state "But, if we treat them all as if they might end up in litigation and do them in a forensically sound
manner, are our clients, organizations etc, not better served?" Well yes in the ideal world. The real world is not as
nice and not as clear cut.

It is clear that we lack knowledge of the others respective process requirements. Statute is one thing, rules of the
courts another.

Always remember that anecdotal evidence is not scientific evidence.

Regards
Craig