Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password Quality checker

From: "Hayes, Bill" <Bill.Hayes () owh com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:26:09 -0600

I would advise some caution in enthustically recommending the link
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/privacy/password_checker.mspx.
It regards the password strength of the strings 'password' as weak,
'Password'as medium, and 'Password1' as strong.

Variations of easily guessable passwords are not strong passwords.
Having worked in IT and infosec jobs in Nebraska for 20 nearly years,  I
can't tell you the number of Husker fans who think that 'GoHuskers!' is
a strong password.  Even 'G0Husk3r5!' can be easily guessed.

BTW, I am NOT a sports fan (my wife and I may be the only folks in
Nebraska who aren't) so don't write to commiserate about this year's
team.  :-)

Bill...