Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:27:37 +0100

On 2006-11-29 gaurav saha wrote:
I was wondering if it is possible to locate and catch a guy who is
connecting to our wep wireless network and downloading stuff from
torrents and using up our bandwidth ..
I checked up with arp scan and found 2 unknown IPs 192.168.1.246 and
247
Is there anyway of locating the guy in a building of 7 floors and how
to stop this ..I have tried changing the Wep keys so . he is cracking
the wep key.
Any Suggestion People ?

Quit using WEP (which is known to be insecure for years) and move to
WPA. If your access point doesn't support WPA: trash it and get a device
that does. When setting up WPA use a strong passphrase.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."