Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: spam-filtering policy

From: "Thomas Choi" <tchoi () nortel com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 04:26:33 -0500

Mike Peppard wrote:
I'd also recommend the white list be specific to individual email accounts and your employees have an easy way to add
or remove entries from their white list.
One problem with this approach is that most spams these days are sent with a forged sender address. Personally, I'd suggest whitelisting IP addresses instead.

It could be an auto reply from your company that triggered the list or it could be that you're an open relay, or perhaps
you're not giving an spf per RCF4408 or a combination of problems that triggered an alert. Being from Asia as you are, you
might want to let their email administrator know that banning that whole IP range will limit their ability to do business.
My guess is that their mail server was caught sending spam and was listed on a third party blacklist that the recipient's organization was using. However, I agree that the sender should contact the recipient's e-mail administrator and work with them to determine why their mail cannot get through.