Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: advice for CEH certification

From: "Simmons, James" <jsimmons () eds com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:58:52 -0600

 Someone else said it best earlier. Cert's are to get the interview,
knowledge, skills, personality gets you the job.  Of course if you
really want the interview above others, you would actually write up a
white paper about some of your research. Do what others claim they can
do, and you will be a leg up on them. Try and doing something so that
you can give a talk about at a security Con.  It is one thing to try and
prove that you know something by taking someone else's test, and it is
money in the bank if you prove by examples that you already do what the
cert claims to test on.

Of course I am biased in that I don't have any trust in the current IT
Certifications Industry. <rant> There is no governing body, no single
source of certs, or accreditation.  The current certification industry
is "if you can put together a test and hype it up, you can make money."
You will make more money if you find some sort of employer to partner
with, that will look for your cert as a condition of hire. </rant>

And just a personal note, if you are actively engaged in promoting the
CEH cause it is your job, you are biased.  I will trust the CEH
instructor that claims that it is rubbish over the guy who is trying to
sell you his services as a CEH instructor.

So I guess my message is, if you want that job that is looking for CEH,
you would impress them more if you are actually doing the research in
your off time and writing the papers about it and getting published,
then if you just take the easy way and get a piece of paper that claims
that you know at least their minimum.

Regards,

J.A. Simmons V, BAMF
EDS - Navy Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI)