Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Exchange vs Groupwise

From: "Spencer Hall" <SHALL () stvincentshealth com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:35:12 -0500

Killy

My company is moving from GroupWise to Exchange.  GroupWise system is more secure than Exchange unfortunately market
share is not in GroupWise favor.

The choice whjen it comes to clients again leans toward Outlook its a more familiar interface to many people.
Ultimately you need to consider the cost of training and support if you switch clients.

One thing you might want to consider is that you can use Outlook client to front-end a GroupWise server backend or the
new 7 GroupWise client to fornt-end Exchange.

I would also consider the long term prospects of Novell given its recent agreement with Microsoft.

killy <killfactory () gmail com> 12/12/06 20:46 PM >>>
Hi everyone,

I hope this topic is in the correct forum.

I am working on an assessment of a proposed change in email systems.

Moving from Groupwise 6.5 and 7 over to Exchange 2003 or better.

Most of the exchange vs groupwise numbers that I am finding are a bit
outdated or not from a neutral source(is there is one).

I am looking for current number on MarketShare.

Also, forever I have heard that Groupwise is more secure that Exchange.

My feeling is that the Groupwise 'client' is a better choice that
Outlook Express, but

I am focusing on Groupwise Client verses Outlook.

Things like encryption level, if any between client and server.

I have looked at the CVE database and I am aware of the reported
vulnerabilities.
The CVE shows a reduction in Exchange problems over the recent years.

I am not interested in pushing for one product over the other but,
just the facts.

I fell certain that someone on this list has done something similar in the past.

I am just looking for direction.  Thanks!

--
If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will behacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.

Detect Malicious Web Content and Exploits in Real-Time.
Anti-Virus engines can't detect unknown or new threats.
LinkScanner can. Web surfing just became a whole lot safer.

http://www.explabs.com/staging/promotions/xern_lspro.asp?loc=sfmaildetect

NOTICE: This message is confidential, intended for the named
recipient(s) and may contain information that is (i) proprietary to
the sender, and/or, (ii) privileged, confidential and/or otherwise
exempt from disclosure under applicable Florida and federal law,
including, but not limited to, privacy standards imposed pursuant
to the Federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
of 1996 ("HIPAA"). Receipt by anyone other than the named
recipients(s) is not a waiver of any applicable privilege. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you in
advance for your compliance with this notice.