Security Basics mailing list archives

Cisco Router security basics and ASA firewall rules

From: pelesmk () gmail com
Date: 11 Dec 2006 21:51:18 -0000

What types of ACls if any or other security rules should be used on an edge router or internal router which stands in
front of an ASA firewall.

I over recently overheard a conversation where they didn't want any ACLs on the router and have all ACLs happening at
the firewall. I have a problem with this thought because of ip spoofing, DoS attacks, etc that would target the router.
Am I thinking correctly or is there a way to defend against this at the firewall? I understand some ACLs can be made at
the firewall and implementing long ACLs on the router can cause adverse network speeds, but some of the most basic ACLs
must be at the edge router.

Please fill me in as I'm fairly new to ACLs and firewall implementations.