Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Identifying passion for security?

From: "Jason Muskat, GCFA, GCUX, de VE3TSJ" <Jason () TechDude Ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:02:29 -0500

Hello,

I know what you mean. I have even seen certified people that don't have a
clue what they are doing. Script-kiddies often have more skills.

I would look to community involvement, outside office hours experiences, a
multi-disciplined background, and then certs last. Good security people are
not trained in school for security. It comes from a further understanding --
Putting it all together. Passionate doesn't mean skilled or experienced so
look for indicators of such.

Ask dumb questions such as, "What is a firewall for?", "How much does a
stolen laptop cost?", "Is it ok to email customers their receipt?", "Are
HTTPS web sites secure?", and such. Expect smart answers to the questions
you didn't ask from the above.

Books are 3 years out of date. They are good for ground up learning. I
mostly read sites and pick up a book for a deeper level of understanding,
such as Exploit Research. This year alone I read 8 books which is nothing
compared to the online only material that I have read. -- A security people
need to know the past and well as what is going on today. Zero Days are not
going to be in a book.

The person should be smart, adaptive, and be able to reference past events,
"What did you do when the I Love You email worm hit?".

Regards,

--
Jason Muskat  | GCFA, GCUX - de VE3TSJ

http://TechDude.Ca/