Security Basics mailing list archives

Re[2]: Home PC Networking

From: gmx <pal_adam () gmx net>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 01:38:30 +0100

Hello krymson,

I wont trust the logs of Norton Firewall (i dont trust Norton Firewall
at all, but thats another issue), so i would let a sniffer run, i
think wireshark can be configured to log only connectins to 49152.
Since Norton is embeded in Windows, i guess, when Norton or
another in-windows-implemented software try to phone home that way,
wont be logged.

--
Best regards,
 Adam Pal

<==============Original message text===============
kgc> Do you turn off any BitTorrent clients before you play
kgc> Quake? Or on any other systems on your network?

kgc> For some reason I've got multiple continuous calls being made from my
kgc> PC to my Router's port 49152. Whatever it is, is looping through every
kgc> port on my PC to make the calls.
kgc> I've used Sys Internal's Process Explorer, but I can't find anything
kgc> suspicious.
kgc> I've gone through the logs on my Norton Firewall, but that doesn't
kgc> tell me what is making the calls. I setup a policy within Norton to
kgc> block all calls to Port 49152 on my firewall, but that hasn't had any
kgc> effect. Ad Aware, SpyBot and Microsoft Defender aren't showing me
kgc> anything either.

<===========End of original message text===========