Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Questions about PC clock operations

From: Jim Mellander <jmellander () lbl gov>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:12:13 -0700

As Scott indicates, pointing your systems to one or more NTP servers is
the way to go.  NTP servers' get their time (either directly or
indirectly) from a stable source and use advanced algorithms to correct
for network latency and clock drift.  Our experience is that NTP will,
for the most part, keep system clocks within several milliseconds of
true time, depending on the quality of your network connection.

When I've had to do forensics on a system which is not synchronized via
NTP, I look for a network event that is both logged by our sensors
(which have correct time), and by the system itself.  The time
difference (strictly speaking only valid at that instant in time, and
typically with a 1 second resolution) allows determining of the true
time of logged events on the system (always, of course, subject to the
possibility of tampering, and minor clock skew).

Scott Ramsdell wrote:
Ricci,

In a corporate environment you would typically deploy a network time
protocol server (NTP).  The NTP server either points to an external
reference NTP server, or to its own BIOS clock if corporate policy
prevents synching to an external time source.

Then, all *nix computers and all appliances, firewalls, IDS, routers,
etc. are pointed to the NTP server.  You would also specify the NTP
server as the time source in the appropriate reg key on your Windows
domain controllers.  Typically, the DC running the FSMO role for PDC
Emulator is also the NTP server.

When a Windows client logs in, it checks it's time against the DC, and
adjusts accordingly.  You can find the exact way a Windows client
adjusts itself on the Microsoft site, I know it's there somewhere as I
had to do this years ago.  The formula depends on how far out of
agreement the client is.

It is very important that all of your devices agree what time something
occurred on your network, and the NTP server is the way you do that.

Best Regards,
Scott Ramsdell

--
Jim Mellander
Incident Response Manager

The reason you are having computer problems is:

Yeah, yo mama dresses you funny and you need a mouse to delete files.