Security Basics mailing list archives

Questions about PC clock operations

From: ricci () cse ust hk
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:05:07 +0800 (HKT)

Hello All,

As you know time is a piece of information critical to digital forensics
investigation. However, as the paper in DFRWS 2006 pointed out, the PC
clock is not steady but drifting.

So can any one let me know how the PC clock operates? Is there any
difference between the time between Linux clock and Windows? Will the
operating system be affecting the clock?

Please advise.

Thx.

Ricci